Sunday, July 17, 2011

The eighties, part 3

Back to the eighties. First: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. High school students Matthew Broderick, Mia Sara and Alan Ruck play hooky. Principal Jeffrey Jones tries to catch them. Also starring Jennifer Grey and in two small parts Charlie Sheen and Richard Edson. Written and directed by John Hughes.

Is there some midlife crisis thing going on if I re-watch this film? I don't know. It's still an enjoyable film. In classic comedy style it makes fun of authority figures. You can't help, though, to feel that Broderick is a bit of a spoiled brat. Just like Duckie in Pretty in Pink, it's the supporting character, Cameron / Alan Ruck, that is most interesting. The Twist And Shout sequence is of course a lot of fun, but I think my favourite sequence is the one at the art museum. If I one day should visit Chicago I would have to go see Nighthawks by... anyone?, anyone?, Edward Hopper.

1 comment:

  1. Thats my favourite scene too,although im sure it wont have been when i was younger! I loved Duckie Dale,when i was 14 i wanted a mattress on the floor instead of a bed just because he did!

    ReplyDelete