Saturday, June 23, 2012

Lord of The Flies


When I grew up in Norway in the 70s there was only one tv-channel, showing only one feature film per week, on Monday nights. I only now figured out that maybe there would be a list of the films shown on the internet somewhere and... of course there is! Lots of films I remember very well. Barefoot in The Park, Yellow Submarine, To Sir With Love, Alice's Restaurant, Zorba the Greek, The Purple Taxi, Taking Off, The Last Wave, Next Stop Greenwich Village, Flight of The Phoenix, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Avanti, Mr Roberts, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, the French films Le Grand Blond Avec Une Chaussure Noire and Le Concierge and so on. Plus lots of films I don't remember. Probably they lasted too long and I had to go to bed. Some of these films I've re-watched later, some not.

One film I remember clearly is Lord of the Flies, especially the ending. Checking the list of shown films, I see it was shown 17,4,78, 34 years ago. I was 12 years old, around the same age of the boys in the film. The theme of the film went completely over my head, it was just an exciting story. I got the dvd recently and re-watched it for the first time. It's a bit awkward, the acting is so so, but it's still a powerful film. Together with other films it made a big impression on my young mind and probably contributed just as much to me becoming a cartoonist, wanting to tell stories, as whatever comics I read at the time

3 comments: