Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Interiors

Woody Allen's Ingemar Bergman film. Meet a bunch of people having White People Problems (This vase doesn't fit in my bedroom! The critics don't understand me!). It's hard to decide which of the characters is most selfcentered, the prize possibly going to the writer, played by Richard Jordan. Are they all annoying to make loud, vulgar Pearl, Maureen Stapleton, the most appealing character in the film? It looks great, though, in muted grey and beige tones, with cinematographer Gordon Willis apparently taking some inspiration from Whistler's paintings. And Woody Allen luckily realized, after this, that you can make a serious film but still put in some jokes.

2 comments:

  1. I always avoided his two "serious" movies. But I like his "darker comedies" "Deconstructing Harry" and "Celebrity".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Another Woman was pretty good, with more appealing characters, but I haven't seen it since it came out. Checking IMDB, that was in (gulp!) 1988.

    ReplyDelete