Monday, November 26, 2012

The Spanish Prisoner

Campbell Scott has invented some sort of process that is worth a lot of money, and a lot of people want to get it. Also starring Steve Martin and Ben Gazzara, written and directed by David Mamet.

Who can you trust? No one. I think it's a better film than Heist. For a long part you're not quite sure where the story is going. Then unfortunately it stumbles at the end. One twist too many. I think a darker, less happy ending would have been more satisfying - at least for us pessimists. I put a thief in my mouth to steal my brains.

Top five Mamet films:

1. House of Games
2. The Spanish Prisoner
3. Glengarry Glenn Ross
4. Heist
5. Homicide

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. I sort of prefer the mellower Mamet in Things Change and the Winslow Boy. And State and Main! I was forgetting that one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any of those films. I will have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think you might enjoy Things Change. Lots of pregnant silences. Very Jasonesque. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Mamet's genre thriller Spartan. I wish more art house directors made genre films.

    ReplyDelete