Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Also,


...I watched The Avengers and will report that I was bored out of my skull. I found it in English and in 2D, but after only 5 minutes I realized I had done a mistake in buying a ticket. Maybe it's because I'm an... adult, a 46 years old man? I just felt no connection at all to the story and the characters. Granted, there are some very funny scenes, showing there is room for humour in a superhero film, but the story was just some slapped together old sci fi tropes about oh, some portal to another world, an invasion from outer space and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Who's in danger? A lot of people, apparently. Millions! Yawn... The Spider-Man films got repetitive with poor Mary Jane being rescued all the time, but at least there you cared a bit for a minute or so what would happen. No, I'm afraid the train is gone. The smoke puffs are getting smaller. The sound of the engine is getting weaker. Etc. I have seen my last super hero movie.

Okay, I might do a last exception for Batman, but that's it.

3 comments:

  1. I do not attract most adaptations of comics. I think that the comics are comics and movies, cinema. Each one is a different expression. This movie do not think to look.

    Best regards!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you watch the other 5 movies that led into the Avengers? That's where the character development was spent so its difficult to understand how you didn't connect to the characters. You could say the same thing about 'Return of the Jedi' or LOTR 'Return of the King' if you didn't see the two movies preceding. I agree that the story was pretty basic but I didn't see 'fighting aliens' as the point of the movie. The point was how the Avengers became a team, the aliens just gave them something to punch. Before watching the movie, it was hard to imagine how these characters from very different movies were going to fit together. After the movie, their motivations for teaming up were apparent. It wasn't so much to fight Loki, but to 'Avenge' Coulson (if you saw that one coming, i'd be shocked). For what the movie set out to do, it was spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed some super hero movies in the past, like X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2 and the first Iron Man, but I've just grown tired of these films. Not only super hero films, but action movies as a whole. They just don't appeal to me anymore - I find them to be too fast and too noicy. As I said in the original post, I think it was a mistake for me to go see The Avengers, since I knew it would be more of the same. I think the film was well made and had some very funny scenes, but in the end - it was just not for me.

    ReplyDelete