Monday, July 14, 2014

Nashville

Okay, I've seen five films by Robert Altman - MASH, McCabe and Mrs Miller, The Long Goodbye, Short Cuts and now Nashville - and my conclusion is: Nah, not for me. He's not a bad filmmaker, and I can see he created something new, but his style just doesn't appeal to me. I think I started disliking the film almost right away with the introduction of Geraldine Chaplin as a babbling, clueless reporter, and it doesn't really get much better. It feels like Altman is looking down on these people, and since there are so many of them walking around, we don't really get to know any of them. How much ended up on the cutting room floor? What happened to Shelley Duvall's character? I guess the film is "real", and "like life", but so what? And besides Keith Carradine's I'm Easy, most of the music is not that good.

8 comments:

  1. If you wanted to give Altman one last chance, I would highly recommend California Split (but then again I also really like The Long Goodbye/Elliot Gould, so your mileage may vary).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! Ok, if I should happen to come across California Split, I'll give it a shot. At least the first half hour...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also highly recommend Gosford Park. It's one of my all-time favourites. As it's set in 1930s England, you might find it has a very different feel from his more American films. Maybe? Anyway, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah? Okay, will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jarrett; I'm no Altman fan, but California Split is a borderline great film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two votes for California Split! I might actually have to try and find it now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy 3 Women. Shelly Duvall and Sissy Spacek.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok! I'll not be buying any more Altman dvd's than the five I already have, but if I should happen to come across 3 Women I might give it a chance. I've changed my mind about directors before, it might happen again...

    ReplyDelete