Friday, April 8, 2011

Before Sunset


The sequel to Before Sunrise, made nine years earlier where Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy spend a day in Wienna and promise to meet again in six months. Directed by Richard Linklater.

So, they meet again in Paris, nine years older and with some lines on their faces. The story is told in real time and since Hawke has a plane to catch, the clock is ticking for how long they have together. Slowly they get closer to telling the truth about the dreams and disappointments in their lives. It's like a romantic comedy version of My Dinner With André, with a satisfyingly open ending. Ethan Hawke will always be Oh, Captain, my Captain! for me, so it's strange to see him getting older, and Julie Delpy is still cute. I wouldn't mind too much if they make a third one.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I just discovered your blog now. Just wanted to say that I really like your comics. I'm (always) waiting for new material.

    Greetings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The next book, Isle of 100 000 Graves should be out in June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope not too distant to be published in Spain. Haha!

    Greetings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute movie... good handling spaces, and temporal changes of the protagonists...
    It is bearable, it makes love and makes you keep thinking that just happened one day since they parted.

    ReplyDelete