Friday, October 17, 2014

Ten records

...that made an impression on me.
 
1. The Fine Art of Surfacing by The Boomtown Rats
Wished this record as a Christmas gift, probably in 79. It's got I Don't Like Mondays.
 
2. The Smiths by The Smiths
First record I ever bought! Should have kept that money and waited for Hatful of Hollow. Oh well, gotta start somewhere. 
 
3. Various Positions by Leonard Cohen
I remember seeing a short film called I Am A Hotel, with different songs by Leonard Cohen. I then found a copy of  Songs of LC at a flea market and also bought this one, a fairly underappreciated record, I feel. It has one of his best songs, If It Be Your Will.
 
4. Secrets of the Beehive by David Sylvian
The first song by Japan I ever heard was Night Porter. And I was never the same person again. This record is his masterpiece, especially the version that has Forbidden Colours at the end.
 
5. Blood on the Tracks by Bob Dylan
The first record by Dylan I bought was his debut, which is okay but nothing special. Then I heard Shelter From The Storm, and I was hooked.
 
6. This Is The Sea by The Waterboys
Their three first records are all classics. Actually, their first five records are classics. I believe Room to Roam is my current favourite, if I had to chose, but this was the first one I got.
 
7. Rattlesnakes by Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
Poor Lloyd. If you start with a masterpiece, it can only go downhill from then on. His later records have been more uneven. They still have some really good songs, though.
 
8. Five Leaves Left by Nick Drake
Only three records in his life time, all masterpieces.
 
9. Blue Moods of Spain by Spain
A quiet and minimalistic album, it grows on you.
 
10. Cruel Sister by Pentangle
Discovered this group last year. I love their first five or six records, especially this one, hypnotized by Jacqui McShee's voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment