Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Them

Giant ants! Directed by Gordon Douglas.

Enough 70s films with longhaired hippie scum! Give me a 50s film when men were men and there was always a big bug around to fight! One starring James Arness - Norwegian Viking, Matt Dillon and Zeb Macahan. Ah, I miss How The West Was Won, that was a great series... Anyway, Them - is it the best big bug film? Probably. There seems to be a pattern in these films. There's a professor who explains what's going on (atomic tests, mutations), with or without a pipe, and he has a fetching daughter that the hero falls in love with. But the film actually looks great, and kudos to the actors who manage to say their lines without cracking up.

3 comments:

  1. Ah! I remember catching that movie on TV every now and then when I was a kid. I've got a soft spot for the giant ants, I think. The other bug movie I remember nostalgically was something to do with killer bees. It might have been called "Killer Bees." The scene I remember best (if I'm remembering it correctly, of course) involves a Volkswagen beetle on a stadium field, being swarmed by the aforementioned bees. I think the bees made it through the air vents... Anyway, I think I still prefer the memory of "Them."

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a film called The Swarm, with Michael Caine, could that be it? Haven't seen it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Based on some quick googling, I think it was a TV movie called The Savage Bees: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075166/reviews. Or at least it's got a VW bug in the Superdome. Amazing how many killer bee movies there were in the 70s! I guess that was on people's minds...

      Delete